Donna McMillion, author of How to Produce Fabulous Fundraising Events: Reap Remarkable Returns with Minimal Effort and Director of Development for Hope Hospice, provides some excellent advice on planning a pledge event such as a walk-a-thon, bowl-a-thon, or in her case, a hike-a-thon. Some of the tips include:
- Closely align your event with the spirit of the organization.
- Start the planning process at least 10 months out.
- The event should not be driven by staff only, but should have a strong volunteer presence.
- Choose a good chairperson connected with the ambiance of the event and organization.
- Make the transition to online registration.
To read Donna’s interview, go to Customer Stories: Hope Hospice.