Charity golf tournaments are very popular and lucrative fundraising events for many charities and organizations. But what about for schools? Is it possible to raise money for school programs and educational resources by hosting a charity golf tournament for your school fundraiser? Of course! Let us show you how.
Determine the Target Audience
If your fundraiser is for high school and/or college students, a golf tournament can be a great way to bring parents, faculty and students together. Offer a golf tournament format such as a Scramble which is played in four-person teams. Pair up students, parents, teachers, and representatives from the local community for a great networking opportunity.
What about for younger kids? How about hosting a charity mini golf tournament? Just like a regular charity golf tournament, a mini-golf event is fun, encourages team-building, and can bring in a lot of funds. The great thing about mini golf is that anyone can play… and it only takes a couple hours, rather than an entire day on the golf course.
Planning a Golf Fundraising Tournament for your School
Below is a brief overview of some basic guidelines to help you be more successful in planning your golf or mini-golf school fundraiser:
- Locate a course within your community and schedule the tournament in advance to receive discounted rates.
- Schedule the tournament. Fall is a great time to host charity golf tournaments as course prices are influenced by seasons (with Spring & Summer being the busiest times)
- Sell your event tickets at reasonable prices so more people will be willing to participate. Offer attractive specials such as “family ticket” specials or discounts for advance purchases.
- Ask local businesses and community organizations to sponsor a hole for a reasonable price (such as $100 per hole) and provide signage acknowledging their contribution. Don’t forget to ask for donated items to use as prizes for contest winners and for raffle prizes.
- Promote the event! Don’t forget to market the event by inviting parents, faculty and businesses to participate. Post announcements on local bulletins, online event calenders, and on school web sites.
- Distribute a press release and invite local media to participate in the event for free or to come out to take photos.
- Look for creative ways to raise additional funds during the tournament such as offer “on-the-course contests”, food and beverage sales, raffle fundraising, and more.
- Make donating easy! Include a link on your school website to your fundraising website where people can learn more about your cause or make online donations.
- Provide opportunities for event attendees to make donations at the event. You can raise a considerable amount just by placing a jug labeled “donations” next to the area where players pay for their rounds, at a concession stand or registration tables.
More Golf Tournament Resoruces
Golfregistrations.com has the best golf tournament planning resources to help you organize your charity golf tournaments. Download sample templates such as entry forms, event timelines, event flyers, golf tournament check-lists, and more.
DoJiggy provides online fundraising software solutions to help schools, nonprofits and community organizations plan and manage their fundraising events. Our charity golf software package allows administrators to manage individual and team registration, product sales, sponsor/sponsorship promotion and management, team pairing and hole assignments, as well as financial reporting functions. See more school fundraising ideas and resources.