Charity golf tournaments are very popular and lucrative fundraising events for many organizations. But what about for a school? Is it possible to raise money for school programs and educational resources by hosting a charity golf tournament for your school fundraiser? Why not! If your fundraiser is for high school and/or college students, a golf tournament can be a great way to bring parents, faculty and students together. Offer a golf tournament format such as a Scramble which is played in four-person teams. Pair up students, parents, teachers & representatives from the local community for a great networking opportunity.
What about for younger kids?
How about hosting a charity mini golf tournament? Just like a regular charity golf tournament, a mini golf event is fun, encourages team-building, and can bring in a great deal of funds. The great thing about mini golf is that anyone can play… and it only takes a couple hours, rather than an entire day on the golf course.
Below is a brief overview of some basic guidelines to help you be more successful in planning your golf or mini golf school fundraiser:
- Locate a course within your community and schedule the tournament in advance to receive discounted rates. Fall is a great time to host charity golf tournaments as course prices are influenced by seasons (with Spring & Summer being the busiest times)
- Sell your event tickets at reasonable prices so more people will be willing to participate. Offer attractive specials such as “family ticket” specials or discounts for advance purchases.
- Ask local businesses and community organizations to sponsor a hole for a reasonable price (such as $100 per hole) and provide signage acknowledging their contribution. Don’t forget to ask for donated items to use as prizes for contest winners and for raffle prizes.
- Promote the event! Don’t forget to market the event by inviting parents, faculty and businesses to participate. Post announcements on local bulletins, online event calenders, and on school web sites.
- Distribute a press release and invite local media to participate in the event for free or to come out to take photos.
- Look for creative ways to raise additional funds during the tournament such as offer “on-the-course contests”, food and beverage sales, raffle fundraising and more.
- Make donating easy! Include a link on your school website to your online fundraising site where people can learn more about your cause or make online donations.
- Provide opportunities for event attendees to make donations at the event. You can raise a considerable amount just by placing a jug labeled “donations” next to the area where players pay for their rounds, at a concession stand or registration tables.
Please visit our sister site, Golfregistrations.com, for golf tournament planning resources to help you organize your charity golf tournament and download sample templates such as: entry forms, event timelines, event flyers, golf tournament check-lists, etc.
DoJiggy/Golfregistrations provides online fundraising software solutions to help schools, non-profits and community organizations plan and manage their fundraising events. Our charity golf software package allows administrators to manage individual and team registration, product sales, sponsor/sponsorship promotion and management, team pairing and hole assignments, as well as financial reporting functions.
More school fundraising ideas and resources!