Walk-a-thon events are very popular fundraisers in the summer. They provide an excellent way to raise money for a worthy cause, while getting exercise and enjoying the summer sun. Below are some quick tips to help you solicit pledges for your walk-a-thon, bike-a-thon, swim-a-thon…or any fundraising event where you are soliciting donations!
Tips for Soliciting Donations & Pledges:
- Create an “Action Plan” – including goals, timelines, check-lists, etc.
- Create a fundraising website to help you explain your mission and easily collect online donations
- Identify Prospects: Make a list of people and businesses you can target. What other networks of people can you reach out to? (relatives, co-workers, groups you belong to, etc.)
- Be sure to explain the reason for the fundrasier and how funds collected will be used (Make it personal. How can potential donors help make a difference?)
- Write out a script for yourself and practice
- Monitor progress to stay motivated
- Distribute note cards at work (or your spouse or parent’s office) with a donation request and link to your website
- Post announcements on all your social networking sites! Invite friends to share w/ their friends to help spread the word
- Send out an email requesting donations with a link to your site
- Say “Please & Thank You”
- Try to avoid soliciting door-to-door, but if you have to…be safe!
- Use the buddy system (and bring an adult if you are less than 18)
- Collect only during daylight hours
- Never enter a person’s house
- Do not carry large amounts of cash. (You may be better off collecting checks or directing people to make online donations via credit card)
- Do not provide your phone number or address.
- If you have a personal fundraising website, hand out cards with the website address. This is a great option for people who prefer to pay with credit card. (you can also leave these behind if nobody is home)