School is back in session, and many students, parents and facutly are beginning to think about what they’ll do for school fundraising during the upcoming year. Fall is an especially great time to launch a school fundraiser with all the exciting activities happening. Students are happy to reunite with friends, Fall sports are kicking off their season, and the excitement is building for upcoming Homecoming festivities. Why not take advantage of the festive Fall spirit and raise some additional funds for your cause?
Homecoming Fundraising Ideas:
- Homecoming Auction: Homecoming brings plenty of opportunities to host a charity auction. Whether items are showcased prior to the Homecoming football game or at pep-rally or dinner that leads up to the big event. Hosting a charity auction is an excellent way to collect some dollars for your cause, while engaging the local community. Ask students to collect things from their homes that may be of value. (perhaps a valuable record collection, one-of-a-kind painting, or collectible cars) Reach out to local businesses to ask for donations as well. Restaurant gift certificates, complimentary spa services, free movie passes, and tickets to sporting events are all desirable items. If you are really interested in bringing in the dough, you may want to pursue auctioning-off signed memorabilia from famous celebrities or sports heros, or a vacation (see “no risk auction items” for more ideas)
- Homecoming Walk-a-thon: The entire Homecoming weekend is full of excitement and energy. The morning before the big game and dance, why not host a school walk-a-thon event. This is a great way to bring students, teachers, parents and community members together have fun, get exercise and raise money for a good cause. Each participant will raise pledges in advance to the event by soliciting donations from friends, neighbors and relatives. Ask team members to set personal goals, and instill motivation by providing prizes for participants who raise the most funds. You might also secure donations from local businesses who wish to sponsor the event, or by selling drinks or school merchandise following the walk-a-thon.
- Homecoming Raffle: A fundraising raffle is a great addition to any activity surrounding Homecoming week! Ask students and volunteers to secure donated items in the weeks leading up to Homecoming. Sell raffle tickets at the football game, powderpuff game, parade, pep-rally, or any other Homecoming activity. Announce winners during halftime, and ask people to collect their prizes.
- Pre-Homecoming Dinner: Organize a special dinner the evening before the homecoming dance in the school cafeteria for students, parents, faculty and alumni. Ask a local restaurant to cater the food at a discounted price, or work with the school cafeteria to host a large spaghetti dinner. Charge admission for each attendee, and host entertainment during the dinner. Perhaps create a funny football “bloopers” video to show of funny clips through the years. Ask the cheerleading squad or dance team to perform a dance. Offer a silent auction or raffle as part of the evening as a way for attendees to win great prizes.
- Homecoming Fashion Show: This could be a fun thing to do a few weeks before the homecoming dance. (and possibly a great “mother-daughter” activity) Partner with a local boutique or department store to provide homecoming dresses, shoes, hand bags and the latest accessories. Plan an after-school fashion show where student volunteers model the latest fashions. Sell food and beverages during the event for additional revenue. Perhaps you can raffle-off one pair of new shoes, a hand bag and a new dress as part of the event. Then, following the event, offer the featured items for sale at discounted prices (and be sure you also receive a percentage of these sales)