For any nonprofit or community organization that has hosted an online fundraising campaign this year, Thanksgiving is a perfect time to show your appreciation to supporters.
For individuals, Thanksgiving is a time for people to give thanks for things we have, while recognizing those who are less fortunate. And for nonprofit organizations, this is a great time to give thanks to the people who have supported your cause. Whether your constituents dedicated their time by volunteering or by making financial contributions through online donations, these supporters have contributed to your success, and Thanksgiving provides a wonderful opportunity for you to say “Thanks”.
Recently Fundraising Success published an article which provided 7 tips to show gratitude to your donors during Thanksgiving. We’d like to share their ideas with you here.
- Send a Thanksgiving card to donors and volunteers thanking them with a hand-written note.
- Have staff call donors with a brief “thank you” message during the week of Thanksgiving.
- Send a Thanksgiving-focused e-mail blast.
- Utilize social media to help spread your message of thanksgiving and deepen your connection with donors.
- Include an appropriate Thanksgiving messages on your website homepage.
- Think of donors who might not be able to participate in holiday activities, and strategize how you might reach out to them.
- Consider sending an appropriate gift that relates to your mission. For example, a handmade gift by those you serve (i.e., students, residents, campers or patients).
This Thanksgiving, don’t just think of the wonderful food you’ll be sharing with family and friends as you reflect on your personal good fortunes. From a business standpoint, think of the Thanksgiving holiday as a perfect excuse for us to have one more “touch-point” with our previous donors and generous supporters. Taking the time to give thanks can help strengthen relationships that will continue to grow for years to come.